On Eagles Wings…..

Just another WordPress.com site

Steelhead and Craig Greenfield

When I woke up on the morning of August 3rd I think I had finally realized what I had done to myself by setting up to complete two events in the same weekend.  One of them being on the other side of the state no less.  Oh well there was no turning back now.  I packed up my stuff and headed out to Benton Harbor to check in at the event, and also the hotel.  After arriving for check in at the event I was first disappointed at the expo they had setup.  This being a larger event I was expecting some cool vendors with funny shirts or gear, but there were none to be found.  After picking up my race packet and getting body marked I headed over to the transition area to check in the bike.  I was amazed at the size of the transition area and also impressed at the way it was setup.  It did not look too crowed or congested like some other events I have been to.  They had all of us 70.3 relay team members racked on the far side of the transition area together in one general area.  After leaving the race site and checking into the hotel I talked to my other team mates and found out they were on there way out and should arrive later that night.  Event morning August 4th, we were all up and going around 4:00AM, ate breakfast and headed to the race site.  After we arrived at the race site and setup our transition area we headed down to the beach to watch our swimmer take off and then headed back to our transition area to “patiently” await for our swimmer to return.  Lake Michigan looked a little choppy that morning, the water was warm, but seeing the over one smile swim course laid out was very intimidating.  It took our swimmer a little over an hour to complete her leg and the chip was handed off to our biker.  Since I was doing the final running portion of 13.1 miles I still have to wait while our biker did the 56 mile course.  As the other relay bikers came in and we talked to them we discovered that our biker more than likely was stopped by a flat tire, but it was under control.  Meaning that she was fixing it.  After our biker returned I was off for my half marathon.  I felt great, passing people left and right, and was running under the 8 minute per mile planned pace.  Around mile 5 though I started to feel very weak and my pace began to slow down.  I was only 5 miles in so what could be wrong?  After mile 6 my brain entered the conversation and reminded me that I had not eaten a solid meal in over 7 hours!  Do’h!   I knew I was going to be the last leg of the relay but it totally slipped my mind that the usual pre-event meal around 5:00AM was not going to cut it.  I should have packed a lunch.  Lessons learned for next time.  So I continued to truck along and took advantage of the well stocked aid stations that had Power Bars and Bananas.  I treated the rest of the run as training for running weak and tired, or at least that is what I kept telling myself.  I finished my 13.1 mile leg with a terrible time of 2:14:15.  That time was even worst than my first half marathon I ever ran.  Overall it was another good learning experience of endurance.       
August 5th I woke up and knew that this crazy weekend was about half over.  After driving home from Benton Harbor last night it was now time to head out for the Craig Greenfield Duathlon.  Rain was predicted and the sky was overcast.  The temperature was not that bad and the humidity seemed low.  Yes you seem to turn into a weather man when weather conditions have a big bearing on how you may perform at an event.  After arriving at the event I picked up my packet and setup my transition area.  I talked with some of the other racers that I knew and we all headed down to the start area.  I was not sure how my body was going to respond after yesterday so the plan was to go out hard and see what happened.  I had the feeling that since I was drained from the previous day that I may not break my time from the previous year but finishing strong was important.  Once they started us off I felt good.  No pain, no soreness and I was running at a pretty fast pace for me of 6:27 per mile.  After finishing the first run of 2 miles I jumped on the bike and was off.  I was riding and pushing it as hard as I could.  A drizzle had started to fall but it was cooling things off and not affecting the bike course at all.  I have to say that I never really took any breaks on the bike potion and pushed it hard at the end.  After getting off the bike I started the final 4.5 mile run portion or the course.  After about one mile my body was on empty and the effects of not resting the day before were very noticeable.  I pushed on a finished with a time of 1:50:19.  That time was about 5 minutes slower than the previous year but I still got 2nd place in my age group.  Now I know for sure that if I want a good time I am not supposed to run a half marathon the day before an event.  Simply another weekend of putting the body on notice of the races that are soon to come.            

August 13, 2007 - Posted by | Uncategorized

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: